Sunday, 31 July 2011

Dorian Gray you got it all wrong.

Recently I have spent considerable time with 'old people' or ' old codgers' as they referred to themselves. All I can say is what interesting people, they have lived their lives and have so much to tell about it. They have learnt who they are, how to carry themselves and have a quiet confidence in themselves that is rarely there in the 'young'. Their sense of humour is actually hilarious and they soon had me labelled as 'trouble', 'here comes trouble' was my affectionate greeting.

I wonder when it is that you just 'know' and are content with who you are and no longer care what others or the world thinks of you. How many days of living and night of sleeping does it take to feel like you've done your bit, you've played your part and lived your story? Where you relax completely and feel liberated to just enjoy the here and now because you 'know' not like the young think they know but really know and feel with every bone in your body that the future is short and your time is precious.

It is a catch-22, on the one hand life is considerably worst your body is physically in more pain, you have to take pills 4 times a day just to keep going, it takes ten minutes of creaking bones and large sighs to heave yourself off the sofa and in the back of your head you must know death is just around the corner. BUT all this physical angst must free your mind to just enjoy and live for right now, years on this earth gives the value of experience to know there is no point worrying anymore because you've expereinced enough times in the past that worry is a beast that needs to be beaten else it just drags you down.

What I'm trying to say is that this group of 'old people' who I had the pleasure to spend time with were the loveliest and happiest group of people I have been in the company of for a long time. I work with young people and these 'oldies' had more life and get up and go in them and were living purely to enjoy rather than to impress or achieve.

My goodness, they made me think about it all, this thing called life. They've lived theirs and I'm just starting out really, it's all ready to enfold in front of me and all the time I seem to worry about how it's going to go and which way it will pan out and whether I'll achieve what I want or I am supposed to and what if I don't use my time here in the best possible way. I believe that one reason we are here is to learn and become the best possible version of ourselves but what if I never do? Yet these old lovelies have for a while stopped these questions and shown in the end none of it really matters because you'll get where you need to be when you need to get there and in the mean time just live and enjoy.




                                The view from my bedroom window.

 After walking through what can only be described as 'bog land' laying in the sun in the nook of  a hill reading with nobody around



                                        View from dream house below....
                                        





The photo above reminds me of this quote- "What is that feeling when you're driving away from people and they recede on the plain till you see their specks dispersing? - it's the too-huge world vaulting us, and it's good-bye. But we lean forward to the next crazy venture beneath the skies."
Kerouac-on the road

                                Warwick Castle







                                 I would like to live in this house please.




                                In the maze.




                                Pub Lunch






 
                                 Shakespeare's place of birth.


                                The Fool.



                                             A good cuppa Cha that!




                                              Asleep.










                               Another house I'd like to live in.


So this last week I have had the most carefree, let it go, fun and happiest weeks. This is all revealed in the fact I am actually smiling with 'teeth' in some of these photos, something that never usually happens despite my Grandma's prompts to show my teeth when I smile. As my little story here unfolds, these last two weeks will be a shining example of how life should be lived as directed by the 'old folk'. It was castles, picturesque picture card villages, mountains, skies, tea and scones, mud, history, fresh air, rivers, laughing, James, stories, wonderful people, living in moments, ice-cream, Shakespeare and silliness.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for any comments or feedback, lovely readers. I will take the time to read them all and appreciate you taking the time to read the posts and leaving a comment.