Tuesday, 23 August 2011

More Etty

'I won't take along any photographs of those I love; I'll just take all the faces and familiar gestures I have collected and hang them up along the walls of my inner space so that they will always be with me'

Etty Hillesum

I love the idea that faces and people's gestures can be stored inside you and perused at your own pleasure in your 'inner space' and so never lost. Etty wrote the above when she considered how she could deal with missing those people she left behind when having to go to the concentration camp at Westerbrok.

2 comments :

  1. Beautiful. During bouts of insomnia, I like to conjure up images of loved ones in my head, specifically those I have not seen in many years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She had a seriously beautiful way of putting things and saw life as a beautiful thing despite all the terrible things going on around her.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for any comments or feedback, lovely readers. I will take the time to read them all and appreciate you taking the time to read the posts and leaving a comment.